What is E-waste?
Any electronic devices that you would like to get rid of are potential E-waste. The devices can be in good condition, broken, or non-functioning. Electronic devices may be hazardous for you and the environment because they may contain: Lead, Mercury, Copper, Cadmium, Chromium, Zinc, and other heavy metals. Federal and State law requires that E-waste be discarded differently than traditional recycling, and in California, electronics are banned from going to the landfill.
We understand that recycling these items can be a hassle. Civicorps Recycling can help with our FREE E-waste Collections program. We offer convenient curbside pick-up from your business and also provide E-waste drop-off events hosted at locations throughout Alameda and Contra Costa Counties.
To Schedule an E-waste Pick-Up:
E-Collection Drop-Off events are easy to set up and a great way to promote your business as a socially responsible, “green” business! If you are interested in hosting an E-Collection Drop-Off event or to find out more information, please e-mail our E-Recycling Department at CivicorpsEwaste@cvcorps.org.
Items That We Can Take
- TV’s and CRT Monitors *
- Flat Screen / LCD Panels & Plasma Screens*
- Rear Projection TVs *
- Laptops *
- PC / CPUs *
- Cell phones, Smartphones
- Tablets and e-readers
- Telephonic equipment and Walkie-Talkies
- Digital cameras, Video Cameras, Projectors,
- Printers, Scanners, digital adding machines and calculators
- Networking / Servers equipment
- Mixed Electronic Waste (keyboards, mice, network cables, power cables, chargers, peripherals, digital clocks, etc.
- Stereo equipment, radios, tape and CD players/recorders, phonographs (no stand-alone speakers of any type allowed)
- Small home or office appliances (no refrigerators or air conditioners)
* We are required to verify your I.D. when recycling certain electronics.*
Sorry but we cannot accept…
- Light bulbs of any type
- Emergency back-up power batteries or IT room UPS rack systems
- Batteries (except laptop batteries installed in a laptop)
- Large appliances (stoves, washers, dryers, water heaters)
- Techno Trash such as CDs, VHS tapes and DVD
- Stand-alone speakers
- Refrigerators and air conditioners
Better Than Recycling
Though our partnership with Tech Exchange located in Oakland we offer a reuse opportunity for eligible electronics:
Desktop and Laptop PCs with dual-core processors and above
Apple computers manufactured after 2010
Hard drives and RAM
LCD monitors (no CRTs)
Cables and peripherals
Keyboards and Mice
Tech Exchange is dedicated to providing digital equity to all East Bay residents. We employ an environmentally sustainable, re-use model by refurbishing donated computers and providing them to families, schools and community organizations. Over the last 20 years, we have distributed 40,000 computers to our community and diverted over 700 tons of e-waste from landfills.
We provide low-cost computers to individuals and organizations, and free computers and services to eligible East Bay families.
Simply let our driver know what items you’d like to donate and we’ll take care of the rest!